When Leeds Cathedral was refurbished in 2006 one significant aspect of the scheme was the creation of a burial vault beneath the floor of the nave, which would be the final resting place of the Bishops of Leeds in the years to come. It was here that Bishop David Konstant was buried ten years later, in October 2016.
On Sunday 28 April Bishop Marcus unveiled a new memorial in the Cathedral dedicated to the memory of Bishop Konstant and designed to allow for further inscriptions in future. The memorial is located in the south-west corner of the Cathedral above the site of the burial vault. It records that Bishop Konstant was the Eighth Bishop of Leeds which may cause some to wonder about the graves of his seven predecessors.
Five of them are buried here in the Diocese, while Cardinal Heenan (Bishop of Leeds from 1951-57) is buried at Westminster Cathedral and Archbishop Dwyer (Bishop from 1957-65) is buried at Oscott College near Birmingham. The first Bishop of Leeds, Robert Cornthwaite, is buried at Sicklinghall in the grounds of the Church of the Immaculate Conception; the graves of his successors Bishop Gordon and Bishop Cowgill are to be found at Killingbeck Cemetery in Leeds. Both Bishop Poskitt and Bishop Wheeler were buried at St Edward’s, Clifford.
May they rest in peace.