In 1850 Pope Pius IX announced the restoration of the English and Welsh hierarchy in the Apostolic Letter Universalis Ecclesiae. He created thirteen new dioceses including the Diocese of Beverley and Dr John Briggs became its first Bishop. In 1878 the Diocese of Beverley was divided into the Diocese of Leeds and the Diocese of Middlesbrough. Bishop Robert Corthwaite, the then Bishop of Beverley, became the first Bishop of Leeds.
Henry John Poskitt
Born in Birken, near Selby, on 6th September 1888; ordained priest on 15th July 1917; consecrated by the then Archbishop of Liverpool, 21st September 1936; died 19th February 1950 and buried at St. Edward’s Church, Clifford.