In 1850 Pope Pius IX announced the restoration of the English and Welsh hierarchy in the Apostolic Letter Universalis Ecclesiae. He created thirteen new dioceses including the Diocese of Beverley and Dr John Briggs became its first Bishop. In 1878 the Diocese of Beverley was divided into the Diocese of Leeds and the Diocese of Middlesbrough. Bishop Robert Corthwaite, the then Bishop of Beverley, became the first Bishop of Leeds.
William Gordon Wheeler
Born in Saddleworth, 5th May 1910; ordained priest on 31st March 1940; consecrated by Archbishop Cardinale, Apostolic Delegate, 19th March 1964 as Coadjutor Bishop of Middlesbrough; translated to the See of Leeds on 27th June 1966; retired 10th September 1985; died 20th February 1998 and buried at St. Edward’s Church, Clifford.