In 1850 Pope Pius IX announced the restoration of the English and Welsh hierarchy in the Apostolic Letter Universalis Ecclesiae. He created thirteen new dioceses including the Diocese of Beverley and Dr John Briggs became its first Bishop. In 1878 the Diocese of Beverley was divided into the Diocese of Leeds and the Diocese of Middlesbrough. Bishop Robert Corthwaite, the then Bishop of Beverley, became the first Bishop of Leeds.
Joseph Robert Cowgill
Born in Broughton, near Skipton, on 23rd February 1860; ordained 19th May 1883; consecrated by the then Bishop of Liverpool, 30th November 1905, as Coadjutor Bishop of Leeds; succeeded to the See of Leeds on 7th June 1911; died 12th May 1936 and buried at the Catholic Cemetery, Leeds.