In 1850 Pope Pius IX announced the restoration of the English and Welsh hierarchy in the Apostolic Letter Universalis Ecclesiae. He created thirteen new dioceses including the Diocese of Beverley and Dr John Briggs became its first Bishop. In 1878 the Diocese of Beverley was divided into the Diocese of Leeds and the Diocese of Middlesbrough. Bishop Robert Corthwaite, the then Bishop of Beverley, became the first Bishop of Leeds.
George Patrick Dwyer
Born in Manchester, 25th September 1908; ordained priest on 1st November 1932; consecrated as Bishop of Leeds by Archbishop John Carmel Heenan of Liverpool, 24th September 1957; translated to the Archdiocese of Birmingham, 7th October 1965; Retired 31st August 1981; died 17th September 1987 and buried at Oscott College, Sutton Coldfield.