Carmelite Sisters (ODC)
The Carmelites are Contemplative Sisters who live a life of prayer in praise and worship of God and intercession for all people. To concentrate more fully on this aim, there is a radical drawing aside from the complex preoccupations of secular society – witnessing to the transcendent God. A simple monastic life-style, balancing silence and solitude with community friendship, aids the daily effort to live according to the Gospel.
Tel: 01937 583734
Fax: 01937 582486
Daughters of Divine Love (DDL)
The Congregation was founded on 16th July 1969 in Ukpor, Nigeria, West Africa, by the late Bishop Godfrey Mary Paul Okoye C.S.SP The Daughters dedicate themselves to love of God through the observance of the evangelical counsels in a community of love, contemplation of God and apostolic action.
Founded after Vatican Council 2, the Congregation was privileged to base its modus operandi on the teachings of this great council. The motto is “Love of Christ, Urges us on” and Charism is “Generous loving response to Divine Love Incarnate”. The distinguishing mark of the members is their call to love God and fellow men, with deep humility, self-sacrifice and solid piety. Apostolate is witnessing of daughters’ consecrated lives to divine love in fields of health professions, pastoral, social works and educational services with appropriate flexibility.
Pope John Paul II elevated the congregation to Papal Status in 1991 and the congregation has spread to various regions of the world: Gabon, Kenya, England, Italy, Germany, U.S.A., Haiti, Cuba and Jamaica. The headquarters is in Enugu Nigeria.
32 New North Road
Tel: 01484 532556
Daughters of Mary, Mother of Mercy (DMMM)
Bishop Anthony Gogo Nwedo CSSp, founded the Congregation in 1961. It is an institute of apostolic religious life with a Pontifical right. The Congregation was founded to bear witness to the Mercy of God and so its members live a life of Prayer and Penance. Make their very lives a sign of God’s love and mercy for the sinful world and an eloquent sermon to all around. Its apostolate is to care for the poor and needy in hospitals, orphanages and homes, teach in schools and work in parishes to prepare people for the Sacraments and guide church societies. The Congregation is now established in different dioceses in West and South Africa, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Austria, USA and England. Here in the Leeds diocese, there are two houses – the motto is “Ecce Ancilla Domini”.
Holy Rosary Presbytery
3 Cross Francis Street
0113 262 2466
St Joseph’s Convent
3 Joseph Street
0113 414 4725
Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood (FMDM)
As Franciscans we aim to follow a simple life-style and to find God in humanity and in the whole of creation, and we place ourselves under the patronage of Mary the Mother of God. We are sent as Missionaries to many parts of the world and strive to bring Christ to birth in all the peoples to whom we reach out. As our talents are varied so are our works, and according to local needs, both at home and on the Missions, we undertake nursing and teaching, chaplaincy, parish and social work as well as giving retreats and spiritual direction.
6 Staincliffe View
Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal (CFR)
The Community of the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal was founded in 1988 as a parallel community to the Franciscan Friars for the Renewal which began in 1987. The Sisters’ community was founded by Fr. Andrew Apostoli, CFR and was formally established as an Association of the Faithful in 1990 by the late Cardinal O’Connor. Mother Lucille Cucrone, CFR, is a founding member and presently Community servant.
Both the Friars and the Sisters attempt to authentically live out the rule of St. Francis of Assisi in the Capuchin tradition. We live a common life characterised by charity, prayer and poverty. Both communities server the spiritual and material needs of the very poor in their neighbourhoods and are engaged in an extensive Evangelisation Apostolate. We are committed to actively promoting and defending the sanctity of all human life. Please pray that we may be faithful to the life to which God has called us.
St Clare Convent
19 Neville Road
Tel: 0113 235 0573
Fax: 0113 249 0723
Handmaids of the Holy Child Jesus (HHCJ)
Handmaids of the Holy Child Jesus Congregation was founded in 1931 in Nigeria by Mother Mary Charles Magdalene Walker, an English nun of the Religious Sisters of Charity (RSC), a missionary who came to Southern Nigeria for the education of African women in that part of the continent. The Congregation of the Handmaids of the Holy Child Jesus is a religious institute of Pontifical Right, totally dedicated to the service of God and humanity. Our Motto is “Love and Service”.
The apostolate of the congregation include; Education, Medical, Catechesis, Social works in accordance with the signs of the times. The Congregation being missionary from the beginning, have many houses in different parts of Nigeria and across the globe. It has spread to the following countries; Ghana, Togo, Cameroon, Sierra Leone, Kenya, England, Italy, Germany, USA, Canada and Grenada. There are 2 houses in England; London and Bradford.
St Peter’s Convent
651 Leeds Road
Little Sisters of the Poor (LSP)
On October 25 1792 in Cancale, Brittany, Jeanne Jugan was born. Her name one day would be known on every continent. Today in 31 countries around the world the Little Sisters continue their work she began by serving the elderly of the human family. ‘Making the elderly happy, that is what counts’. The Little Sisters wish to live out these words of Jeanne Jugan with the help of collaborators and friends.
Mount St Joseph’s Home
Shire Oak Road
0113 278 4101
Sisters of Charity of St Paul (SP)
In 1847 two Sisters of Charity of St Paul came from Chantres to Banbury in Oxfordshire. They became the foundresses of the English Congregation, who raison d’etre was the conversion of England through education at all levels, child care, care of the sick and parish ministries. As well as some large institutions, such as a training College, Father Hudson’s Campus in Coleshill, the Sisters could be found in small groups among the poor, sharing the vicissitudes of their lives. During the next century and a half, their ministry spread to Wales (1859), Ireland (1903), Scotland (1907), South Africa (1954) and Romania (1990). Their aims remain the same but the ministries involved have changed with the times. Their Mother House is at St Paul’s Convent, Selly Park, Birmingham.
11 Moor Drive
0113 275 8852
St Joseph’s Convent
918 Bradford Road
Sisters of Cross and Passion (CP)
Elizabeth Prout, Mother Mary Joseph, (1820-1864) was a convent who founded a congregation of religious women in Manchester in 1851. In response to the needs of the Church in her time she dedicated the sisters to education and social work. Mother Mary Joseph encouraged her sisters to grow in total surrender to God, identification with Jesus in his Passion. Death and Resurrection and a spirit of selfless service to the poor, in lives strengthened by the Eucharist and by the shared vision of a praying community. This remains the spirit by which the Sisters of the Cross and Passion strive to live today. In our service of the Church and the world, we share God’s love and compassion with the poor and journey in solidarity with those who are seeking human and spiritual development. Everywhere, we are committed to keeping alive the memory of Jesus Crucified, the greatest expression of God’s love, and to bringing the joy and hope of the Resurrection to the pain of the world today. We have Associates too, men and women living in their homes, who share our spirit and ministry.
7 West Park Chase
0113 443 2892
5a Nursery Close
42 Kings Road
The Briery Retreat Centre
38 Victoria Avenue
Sisters of the Holy Family of Bordeaux (HFB)
The Congregation of the Holy Family of Bordeaux was founded by Pierre Bienvenu Noailles, in 1820 in France. This was a time of great upheaval and change after the French Revolution. Our Founder, filled with the love of the Gospel and Our Lady, modelled the Congregation on the Holy Family of Nazareth, who sought God alone in everything. We embrace all vocations, lay associates, contemplative, consecrated religious and consecrated seculars. Our charism is to ‘welcome all and create unity’ in a divided world. We are, as our Founder said, ‘To gather together the scattered children of God in all parts of our world’.
Holy Family Sisters
393 Selby Road
0113 264 6669
Holy Family Sisters
79 Grange Road
Sisters of St Joseph of Peace (CSJP)
Founded in Nottingham in 1884 by Margaret Anna Cusack, known as Mother Francis Clare. Spread rapidly to the USA with ministries there and in El Salvador, Haiti and in England, Wales and Scotland. The first ministry in the Diocese of Leeds was in 1958 with Sisters involved in education in Goole, Doncaster, Featherstone, Carlton and Bradford. The call to peace making permeates all aspects of our lives. Since our Foundress had a particular concern for justice towards women, the Sisters and Associates, commit to ministries and actions which affect the contemporary situation of women in the Church and in society, and towards the creation of a more just and peaceful world.
30 Loxley Close
Sisters of Mercy (RSM)
The Congregation of the Sisters of Mercy was founded in Ireland by Catherine McAuley in 1831. The first foundation in the Diocese of Leeds was at Clifford in April 1870; there are at present four Convents in the Diocese including the Generalate of the Institute in Yeadon. Their Foundress was declared Venerable by Pope John Paul II on 9 April 1999. They continue to serve in the field of Education, Nursing and Pastoral Ministries.
Institute of Our Lady of Mercy
0113 250 0253
9 Swarcliffe Drive
0113 267 2605
14 Oaklands Fold
0113 267 2605
17 Bryony Court
0113 270 5677
Society of the Holy Child Jesus (SHCJ)
Founded in England in 1846 by Cornelia Connelly, a woman of uncompromising and radical openness to the God of mercy and boundless love, the very essence of the Society’s mission is to be and to live out God’s mercy and compassion. Our response to that mission profoundly affects how we relate to one another, how we live, how we serve as apostolic women and, ultimately, how the power of the gift we have been given as a Society for the Church and for the world may be released and shared.
35 Oatlands Drive
Rev William Wright
St Mary’s Presbytery
25 Bond End
Franciscan Friars of Renewal (CFR)
Fr Gabriel Kyte (Local Servant), Fr Christopher McBride (Vicar), Fr Bernard Murphy, Fr Giles Barrie, Br Benedict Joseph Delarmi, Br Angelo LeFever
St. Pio Friary
1a Sedgefield Terrace
Nigerian Missionaries of St Paul Apostle (MSP)
Rev Solomon Gidu Bulus MSP, St Mary Parish, Bradford
Tel: 01274 682284
Rev Emmanuel Osondu Adindu MSP, Our Lady of Kirkstall Parish, Leeds
0113 267 8257
Rev David Williams CP PhD, 9 Riverdale Gardens, Otley LS21 1SX
Verona Fathers (Comboni Missionaries) (MCCJ)
Rev Franco Mastromauro, Melaku Tafesse, Tiziano Laurenti
Brownberrie Manor, Brownberrie Lane, Horsforth, Leeds LS18 5HE
0113 258 2658
Missionary presence in the North of England dates back to April 1957 when the Verona Father’s opened a seminary in Mirfield. In 1987 the Verona Fathers settled here in Horsforth, having sold the premises in Mirfield. The house is a centre for Missionary Animation, acting as a base for the Communication Office of the Fathers in England and other Missionary linked activities.