Our Annual Report
…filed in record time this year!
The Financial Controller (John Moran) is pleased to be able to report that the Audited Report and Consolidated Financial Statements were signed on the 27 June 2019 (fittingly, the Feast of our Lady of Unfailing Help, our principal Patroness).
The document may be downloaded here https://www.dioceseofleeds.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/ANNUAL-REPORT-2019.pdf
This Annual Report, put on public record with the Charity Commission, illustrates the progress we have made as a Diocese in repaying our outstanding loans and the continued collective improvements we have all made in our financial stewardship.
Mindful of our increasing statutory responsibilities, the Finance Department set a target of progressively reducing the preparation time in producing the Annual Report.
It is the accumulated week-in-week-out efforts of our volunteer counters, Gift Aid Co-ordinators and Parish Finance Committees (to name but a few), as well as the staff in our parish offices, that have enabled this positive Report to be published in record time.
The Finance Department is currently working on the following initiatives:
- Grant sourcing, and its associated application process. This is a relatively high resource activity and as a significant source of funding for the Diocese it is one to which we continue to give high priority.
- Identification of a contactless giving provider. A key component of a contactless system will be the efficient processing of the associated Gift Aid. Our due diligence has to be rigorous and we will provide updates on this scheme later in the year.
- The pricing structure for our Pastoral Centre, Hinsley Hall. The present structure is a major disincentive to parish and diocesan groups using this diocesan facility. Work has begun significantly to improve the pricing structure. A key factor in deliberations is that as a diocese we keep on the right side of VAT and other tax regulations.
- Building on this spirit of co-operation we are also furthering Bishop Marcus’s new initiatives:
- Establishing a forum for parish secretaries and administrators, the first meeting of which will take place on 21 November 2019 at Hinsley Hall.
- Development of a ‘shared services’ model to reduce the day-to-day administrative burden on our parishes.
As a diocese we can be grateful for the progress we have collectively made in our financial stewardship. I am very thankful for the cooperation I have received from Curia colleagues and Parish staff and volunteers in achieving this.
Previous Year’s Annual Report
Finance Office Staff
John Moran, Financial Controller
John joined the Diocese of Leeds in February 2016 having gained extensive accounting and general management experience in the commercial sector, including 10 years with Alliance and Leicester Bank. He is responsible for managing and co-ordinating the finances of the Diocese working with HSBC and our Auditors, Saffery Champness.
Projects that the Finance Department is working on in 2019 include ‘contactless giving’ and grant fund raising.
0113 261 8024
Anna Larkin, Financial Accountant
Anna has worked in the Finance Department since February 2016. She project-managed the implementation of the Online Parish Accounting System (OPAS) in our 77 parishes and continues to provide on-going support. Anna works on the preparation of the Annual Accounts and other finance projects such as grant applications for diocesan and parish projects.
0113 261 8028
Louise Ward, Gift Aid Administrator
Louise has worked for the Diocese since March 1988. She started as secretary to the Property Office and joined the Finance Department in 1991.
Louise is the primary contact for Gift Aid in the Diocese, frequently visiting parishes and giving presentations at Sunday Masses to promote Gift Aid giving as well as assisting parishes in processing their claims on OPAS. Louise is well respected in this field, being Secretary to the National Gift Aid Conference as well as being the Gift Aid Administrator for the Diocese of Hallam.
She is also sub-editor of the Diocesan Year Book and provides secretarial and administrative assistance to other departments in the Curia.
0113 261 8023
Catherine Walker, Finance Assistant
Catherine originally joined the Diocese in 2010. She began as a volunteer in the Education Department before becoming a permanent employee in 2012. In 2016, Catherine joined the Finance Department where she is the Accountant for the Diocese’s Pastoral and Conference Centre at Hinsley Hall and maintains the accounts for the Curia’s departments.
0113 261 8004
Text CHURCH followed by the name of your Parish to 70500 to donate £5.
The Diocese of Leeds will receive 96% of your £5 donation. The money will come from your mobile network account. You only pay a donation if you receive a reply message back, some mobile phone accounts have text donations blocked on them because they are business phones or they are pre-pay phones with insufficient credit. You may (depending on network) have to pay to send a “standard rate” message which should cost about 10p. Always get the bill payers permission. If you have questions about this service call 03306600425 to speak to someone from the service provider Vir2.Text Giving