DIOCESAN COAT OF ARMS FOLLOWS THE CROSS
21st April 2017
The Bishop has discovered an original nineteenth century coat of arms from the early days of the Diocese of Leeds and has redesigned the Diocesan Coat of Arms to return to this original form, which incorporates the Cross of Christ.
The version in use since the 1950's had been redesigned from this original -but without a Cross. The 'new', original version to be used in the Diocese from now on retains all the familiar features, taking the form of a shield surmounted by a bishop’s mitre.
The shield still comprises:
Silver fleur-de-lys on a blue background for Our Lady of Perpetual Succour (Our Lady of Unfailing Help), Patroness of the Diocese of Leeds
A gold crozier for St Wilfrid, Patron of the Diocese
A small green shield with silver rose for the ‘County of Broad Acres’ and ‘Yorkshire White Rose’.
Behind the shield is now positioned a crozier, symbol of the pastoral jurisdiction of a bishop and a processional cross, recalling that the bishop and diocese must look to and always follow the Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
The Diocese of Leeds was created in 1878 and Bishop Marcus is the 10th Bishop of Leeds.
Interested in the history and heritage of our Diocese of Leeds? Visit http://www.dioceseofleeds.org.uk/archives/ for details of the Parish and family history resources available in our Diocesan Archives.