Friday 24 June, the Solemnity of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, was the occasion for the annual Celebration of Priesthood. Bishop Marcus led the Mass at Leeds Cathedral which marked this very special date in the diocesan calendar. He was joined by a large number of concelebrating clergy, including those priests celebrating a jubilee of ordination during 2022.
Our Jubilarians this year are:
- Fr John O’Keefe, Diamond Jubilee
- Mgr Peter Rosser, Golden Jubilee
- Mgr Canon Philip Moger, Ruby Jubilee
- Canon Michael McCreadie, Silver Jubilee
- Fr Simon Winn, Silver Jubilee
- Fr Eric Cheetham, Silver Jubilee
- Fr Philip Mills, Silver Jubilee
- Fr Nigel Barr, Silver Jubilee
The preacher at the Mass was Fr Columba Jordan CFR, the Rector of St Patrick’s Mission in Bradford. Fr Columba spoke about his childhood in Ireland, living in a parish dedicated to the Sacred Heart, and his training for the priesthood in New York. He took as his theme Our Lord’s invitation to “be with Him” and that this was especially the case with priests, who are invited to share in friendship and companionship with the Lord.
As well as thanking our Jubilarians for a combined total of 275 years of service to the Bishops and people of the Diocese of Leeds, we also recognise the debt of gratitude we owe to those priests who are retiring from active ministry this summer:
- Mgr Bernard Bickers, Sacred Heart & St William, Uppermill
- Canon John Nunan, St Joseph’s, Wetherby
- Fr Richard Carter, Holy Redeemer, Huddersfield
- Fr Maurice Pearce, Our Lady Immaculate, Pateley Bridge & St Joseph’s, Bishop Thornton
Ad multos annos!
A video recording of the Mass, including Fr Columba’s homily, can be viewed at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kKZerpfKLU
A photo gallery from the Mass is available at https://www.patricksicephotography.co.uk/blog/Priesthood