The Annual Celebration of Priesthood, which was cancelled in 2020 and could not be celebrated on the usual Solemnity of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus this year, took place on Thursday 28 October at Leeds Cathedral.
The occasion celebrated the jubilees of those priests with significant anniversaries of Ordination to the Priesthood in 2021 and of those who celebrated them the previous year.
Holy Mass, led by Bishop Marcus, was followed by a celebratory lunch in Wheeler Hall for the concelebrating clergy, in honour of fifteen jubilarians in all, who between them have given over 600 years of service to the Diocese.
Warmest congratuations and appreciation go to:
- Fr Bernard Battle (1950) Platinum Jubilee
- Fr Gerry Creasey (1961) Diamond Jubilee
- Fr Jim Leavy (1970) Golden Jubilee
- Canon Michael Mahady (1971) Golden Jubilee
- Canon John Nunan (1971) Golden Jubilee
- Mgr Pat Hennessy (1971) Golden Jubilee
- Fr John MacMahon (1971) Golden Jubilee
- Canon John Aveyard (1981) Ruby Jubilee
- Mgr Michael McQuinn (1981) Ruby Jubilee
- Fr John Newman (1981) Ruby Jubilee
- Canon Jim Callaghan (1995) Silver Jubilee
- Fr Gerry Thornton (1995) Silver Jubilee
- Fr Jonathan Hart (1996) Silver Jubilee
- Fr Mark Lawler (1996) Silver Jubilee
- Fr Patrick Mungovin (1996) Silver Jubilee
Ad multos annos!
The picture above shows (L-R) Canon Nunan, Fr Creasey, Fr Leavy, Canon Mahady & Mgr Hennessy