Welcome to Caritas
‘Caritas’, the loving service of those in need, is an indispensable part of what it means to follow Christ and to be Catholic. Caritas organisations exist to help us put this into action.
The Vision for Caritas Leeds, launched in September 2017, is to create a forum where all charities, agencies, projects, services, groups (defined as having at least a simple structure and organisation) that are involved in social action or social care in the Diocese of Leeds, whose work is inspired by the Gospel and operate in accordance with Catholic doctrine and social teaching, can meet together on a regular basis.
What does Caritas Leeds do?
- Provide a strong and coherent voice at the service of the Bishop, on important social issues and policies for the Diocese of Leeds
- Share and celebrate ideas and projects
- Encourage the development of and to support good care practice
- Arrange joint training where this is appropriate/ requested
- Develop on-going formation for members in Catholic Social Teaching
- Reflect on the Catholic foundations of the work the members undertake
- Identify areas of need within the Diocese of Leeds and to discuss how best to work to satisfy those needs
- Encourage and promote social action wherever possible and encourage partnership across the Diocese in the service of the poor.