Caritas Leeds Criminal Justice Inquiry
Following on from a two year period of listening and reflecting on issues relating to victims of crime, prisoners, ex-offenders and families; a group of Commissioners led by Caritas Leeds have produced a formal report, a set of challenging recommendations and on-line resources. Do you want to find out more….then, click here.
POVERTY IN THE UK
As individuals or parish groups we may well have an awareness of poverty either through our own particular situation, what we hear /read in the media or through charitable work we carry out. There may also be some who associate the concept of poverty with other countries and not in their own community.
The Joseph Rowntree Foundation, an eminent research centre, has just released their latest report on poverty in the UK under the title of: UK Poverty 2022: The essential guide to understanding poverty in the UK. Their website is www.jrf.org.uk
Welcome to Caritas
‘Caritas’, the loving service of those in need, is an indispensable part of what it means to follow Christ and to be Catholic. Caritas organisations exist to help us put this into action.
The Vision for Caritas Leeds, launched in September 2017, is to create a forum where all charities, agencies, projects, services, groups (defined as having at least a simple structure and organisation) that are involved in social action or social care in the Diocese of Leeds, whose work is inspired by the Gospel and operate in accordance with Catholic doctrine and social teaching, can meet together on a regular basis.
What does Caritas Leeds do?
- Provide a strong and coherent voice at the service of the Bishop, on important social issues and policies for the Diocese of Leeds
- Share and celebrate ideas and projects
- Encourage the development of and to support good care practice
- Arrange joint training where this is appropriate/ requested
- Develop on-going formation for members in Catholic Social Teaching
- Reflect on the Catholic foundations of the work the members undertake
- Identify areas of need within the Diocese of Leeds and to discuss how best to work to satisfy those needs
- Encourage and promote social action wherever possible and encourage partnership across the Diocese in the service of the poor.