The Catholic Church across Yorkshire's historic West Riding since 1878

The Catholic Church across Yorkshire's historic West Riding since 1878

Our Heritage

Our churches and chapels are the focal points of the local Catholic communities that together make up the Diocese of Leeds. Many of these places of worship are significant architecturally or house notable examples of church art. All of them have interesting stories behind them, in some cases from the days before Catholic Emancipation; in others from the years of Irish migration to England in the mid-19th century. Elsewhere the story begins in the expansion of the suburbs, especially after the Second World War.

Below is a list of all the churches in the Diocese at the present time. It is arranged in chronological order, from the oldest (1806) to the most recent completion in 2001.

 

Chronological List of Churches in the Diocese of Leeds

ChurchLocationListingDate
St JosephPontefractGrade II*1806
St JosephBishop ThorntonGrade II1809
St AustinWakefieldGrade II1828
St MaryKnaresboroughGrade II1831
St PatrickHuddersfieldGrade II1832
St MaryHalifax1839
St AnneKeighleyGrade II1840
St MaryCarltonGrade II*1842
St StephenSkiptonGrade II1842
St EdwardCliffordGrade II1848
Sacred HeartHowdenGrade II1851
Our Lady & All SaintsOtley1851
St PatrickBradfordGrade II1853
Immaculate ConceptionScarthingwellGrade II1854
Mary ImmaculateSicklinghallGrade II1854
St MarySelbyGrade II1856
St WilfridRiponGrade II*1862
St JosephTadcaster1869
St MaryBatleyGrade II1870
St PaulinusDewsburyGrade II1871
St RobertHarrogateGrade II1873
Sacred Heart & St WilliamUppermill1873 (a)
Our Lady of Mount CarmelSilsdenGrade II1875 (b)
St JosephBrighouse1879
Sacred HeartIlkley1879
Sacred HeartBingley1880
St JosephBatley Carr1881
St JosephBradfordGrade II1887
St CuthbertBradfordGrade II*1891
St JosephCastleford1891
Holy FamilyLeeds1895
St BernardHalifax1897
Killingbeck Cemetery ChapelLeeds1903
Cathedral Church of St AnneLeedsGrade II*1904
St AnthonyLeeds1905
St FrancisMorley1905
St JohnNormanton1905
St John Fisher ChapelHarrogate1909
St JosephGoole1913
Holy SpiritHeckmondwikeGrade II1914
Holy FamilySlaithwaite1914
St JosephHuddersfield1915 (c)
St JosephHarrogate1925
Our Lady of LourdesHaworth1925
St WilliamBradford1926
Notre Dame ChapelLeeds1927
English MartyrsAddingham1928
St FrancisBradford1928
St PatrickEarby1928
St MaryHorsforth1928
Christ the KingLeeds1928
St JosephMoorthorpe1928
St JosephBarnoldswick1929
Our Lady of LourdesLeeds1930
St AidanMirfield1930 (d)
St TheresaQueensbury1931
SS John Fisher & Thomas MoreBurley-in-Wharfedale1932
Hinsley Hall ChapelLeedsGrade II1933
St AidanBaildon1933
St PeterBradford1933
St IgnatiusOssett1933
St JosephPudsey1933
St ColumbaHalifax1934
St JosephKeighley1934
Sacred Heart & St PatrickSowerby Bridge1934
Our Lady & First MartyrsBradfordGrade II1935
Our Lady ImmaculatePateley Bridge1935
St AugustineLeeds1936
Holy RosaryLeeds1937
St MaryRothwell1937
Our Lady of LourdesHuddersfield1940 (e)
St PeterLeeds1948
St PaulCleckheaton1953
Holy NameLeeds1953
St TheresaLeeds1953
St AlbanHalifax1954
St ClareBradford1956
St John the EvangelistBradford1956
Immaculate Heart of MaryLeeds1956
SS Peter & PaulYeadon1956
St AelredHarrogate1957
The AssumptionLeeds1957
English MartyrsWakefield1957
St WilfridLeeds1958
St BonifaceBentham1959
St ColumbaBradford1959
Immaculate ConceptionBradford1960
St PatrickElland1960
Our Lady of Good CounselLeeds1960
St AnthonyBradford1961
St NicholasLeeds1961
St MalachyHalifax1962
Corpus ChristiLeeds1962
St Mary & St WalburgaShipley1962
St UrbanLeeds1963
St PatrickBirstall1970
English MartyrsHuddersfield1970
St GregoryLeeds1970
St WinefrideBradford1973
St Margaret ClitherowThreshfieldGrade II1973
St Mary & St MichaelSettle1974
St MatthewBradford1980
St Joseph the WorkerSherburn-in-Elmet1984
St FrancisLeeds1985
St JosephWetherby1986
The Good ShepherdMytholmroyd1990
SS Peter & PaulWakefield1992
Sacred HeartHemsworth1994
St PaulLeeds1996
St PhilipLeeds1996
St Mary & St MonicaCottingley1998
St BenedictGarforth1998
St MichaelKnottingley2000
St PatrickLeeds2001
Notes

(a) Nonconformist chapel (1873) converted for Catholic worship in 1967
(b) Wesleyan Chapel (1875) converted in 1957
(c) Anglican church (1915) converted in 1954
(d) Warehouse building (1930) converted in 1955
(e) Cinema (1940) converted in 1961

Further information about the history and architecture of churches in the Diocese of Leeds can be found at: www.taking-stock.org.uk

The present-day care of all our churches is a responsibility of the Art, Architecture and Heritage Committee of the Diocese of Leeds. Where a church is a Listed Building this is also a matter for the Historic Churches Committee. Further information about the work of these bodies can be found in the Property Department section of the Diocesan Website.

From our Archives and Heritage

Planning the new Cathedral

The plan shows the location of the first Cathedral Church of St Anne (built in 1838) which stood at the junction of Cookridge Street and Guildford Street (now The Headrow) and the site of its replacement, outlined in red.

Laying the foundation stone

The Foundation Stone of the new Cathedral was laid on the Feast of Ss Joachim & Anne, 26 July 1902. It now forms part of the War Memorial Chapel on the north side of the Cathedral.

A new Cathedral completed

An early postcard view of the new Leeds Cathedral, which was officially opened on 16 June 1904. The Consecration took place on 18 July 1924. The interior of the Cathedral was re-ordered in 1963 (during the Second Vatican Council) and most recently in 2006.