The peal of eight bells in Leeds Cathedral celebrated their Ruby Anniversary on Sunday, 8 December – forty years to the day since they rang out for the first time on the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception in December 1979.
Tower Captain Barrie Dove, President of the Yorkshire Association of Change Ringers, shares the bells’ anniversary. Back in 1979 Barrie had obtained a quote of £10,000 to cover the cost of having the bells transferred from St Francis’ Church, Holbeck prior to its demolition.
With the blessing of the Cathedral’s Administrator, the late Mgr Tom Murphy, an appeal was announced before the beginning of Mass at the Cathedral. At the end of Mass, an anonymous donor approached with a cheque for the full amount!
On the occasion of the Annual Cathedral Carol Service, Bishop Marcus thanked Barrie for his outstanding commitment to bell ringing at the Mother Church of the Diocese. He also extended his gratitude for the service of two other ringers from the early band who between them have rung in at Leeds Cathedral for 77 years!
For the record the original single bell form the Tower at the Cathedral, put there in 1904 and dedicated to the Archangel Gabriel, was removed and installed at St Robert’s Church in Harrogate.
The ‘new’ Cathedral bells are dedicated to:
- St Francis
- St Richard
- St John & St Thomas
- St Augustine
- St Joseph
- St Mary
- St Michael
- St Theresa
Barrie is pictured here along with Bishop Marcus , the Dean of the Cathedral Fr Matthew Habron, the Lord Lieutenant of West Yorkshire Mr Ed Anderson KSG and Janine Jones.